Big News for Truss & Ore!
We are headed to the West Coast!
Some of you may already be privy to this news, but it is now pretty darn official. We have just signed a lease for an adorable apartment in Noe Valley, at the top of one of the steepest hills in San Francisco!
Let me tell you though, the struggle is real. Apartment hunting in San Francisco is a much bigger challenge than what I have experienced in Chicago. So, in case you are considering a similar move, here are some things I've learned:
- Unless you're moving there from Manhattan, prices are going to be much higher than what you are used to. For less space. Much less space.
- You should be ready to make a quick decision and come to showings prepared with credit reports, proof of income, and likely your checkbook. First impressions count and being prepared at an open house with lots of other interested parties can put you ahead.
- The city is colorful in character. Hone in on the neighborhood that best suits your personality and focus your search there.
- Craigslist is still a wonderful resource, even in the age of fancy apartment finding apps.
- Rent controlled buildings are your friend. Places that offer short leases for your first few months in this new city are likely to jack rent prices up as soon as that short lease is up.
- It's all totally worth it.
There are so many things I already love about this city and I'm so excited to fall in love with the rest of it!